In this post i’m going to describe the concept of formatting and how its done . You all know whats format , to clean or delete the unwanted/malicious data from any storage device is what format is all about . Yeah that’s correct but there much more than that what we are going to discuss in this post is the concept of formatting and its types .
Formatting :- In simpler words formatting means changes of orientation in within the harddisk .
Now there are two types of formatting :
- Low level formatting
- High level formatting
Low level formatting is been used by manufacturers .
High level formatting is been used by users .
CHANGES THAT OCCUR UNDER LOW LEVEL FORMATTING :
- Track , head , sector , cylinder no. is generated .
- Location MBR
- Landing Zone is declared
- WPCOM is generated . ( WPcom stands for write precompensation is a technical aspect of all digital magnetic recordings like harddisk , floppy disk . It ensures that the analog write signal that will later be read back will be as close as possible to the unmodified write signal . It holds the non-linear properties of magnetic recording surfaces . )
- Interleaving is designed . ( Interleaving is a technique used by harddisk to arrange data accessed sequentially into non-sequential sectors which improves access performance .)
- Servo surface is generated . ( stores index surface , dedicated surface and embedded surface )
CHANGES THAT OCCUR UNDER HIGH LEVEL FORMATTING :
- Root directory is created .
- If its Fat16 two copies is generated ( FAT16 #1 FAT16#2)
- If its FAT32 , 4-60 copies is generated
- If its NTFS only 1 copy is genertaed ( because its a composite file system )
- VBR is generated . ( VBR stands for volume boot record . Each drive has its own local sector called VBR . )
- It checks the disk surface for any false . ( it repairs if there’s any false, if it doesn’t repair then sector sparing is active for that sector. )
Now There’s one more thing about formatting which you all guys are familiar with
- Quick format
- Full format
BUT Whats the difference between quick format and full format .
- Firstly quick format is quicker than full format .
- When you choose full format it does takes time because it checks for any bad sector in that partition and also create Track , head , sector , cylinder by removing the old one , whereas in quick format it doesn’t scan disk for any bad sectors . Also the Track , head , sector , cylinder remains same only data is been flushed out .