In this post i will show how to create VHD ( virtual harddisk ) in your system . And we will also learn how to secure our virtual harddisk . You might be thinking what’s virtual harddisk how it works ? Virtual harddisk is file format which you create using your system physical harddisk . For example , I’m having D drive of 300GB and i want vitual harddisk of 100GB , so we will take the space of D drive and create vhd (virtual harddisk) of 100 GB .
So there’s two ways to create virtual harddisk in windows –
- COMMAND PROMPT
SO FIRST WE WILL LEARN HOW TO DO IT GRAPHICALLY
- Right click on your my computer icon and select MANAGE option .
- Computer management will appear on your screen . Computer Management is the process of managing, monitoring and optimizing a computer system or set of windows administrative tools that you can use to manage remote or local computer.
- Go to Disk management option . Here you will find all your system drives .
- In below pic you can see I’m having D drive of 98 GB . Click on ACTION option and then select create VHD .
- Now specify the path on your computer where you want to create virtual harddisk .
- I’m giving D drive and my file name is virtual , size is 50 GB.
- Click on Save .
- Now wait till process is done . At the bottom of below pic you can see process is going on . It might take few minutes .
- After virtual disk process is done , close the computer management .
- Again open it .
- Now when you go to disk management option , system will ask you which type of partition you want this VHD ( virtual harddisk ) to be .
- Select MBR and then click OK .
- You can see virtual disk( 50GB ) is now available in disk management .
- Right click on that disk and select NEW SIMPLE VOLUME .
- Volume wizard will appear on your screen .
- Click next .
- Give size of partition you want made .
- My virtual disk size is 50 Gb , So i’m gonna create two drives of 25 Gb .
- Give size according to your needs like make full drive of 50Gb .
- Assign letter to you drive and click next.
- Give name to your drive .( Volume label )
- Then click on Next .
- Check all setting details you made and click Finish .
- I’m creating one more drive (F) of 25 Gb .
- As you can see below two drive are now available E and F drives of 25Gb .
- Open my computer .
- E and F drives have been created .
- All your data in E and F drive will be saved where you created your virtual harddisk . i used D drive .
- Now to make it secure Turn on bit locker and create password to open your drive .
NOW COMES CREATING VIRTUAL HARDDISK THROUGH COMMAND PROMPT .
First , go to drive where you are gonna create virtual harddik ( or from where you want to use drive’s size )
- Again , i’m going to use D drive . If you want to change drives just type drive letter . Like D:
- mkdir vhd ( this will create vhd named folder )
- dir ( directory . used to check content of that drive )
- In below pic , vhd is been created but its just a folder .
- Now run diskpart command
- type create vdisk file=path where you want it to be ( like mine is in D drive and i want it to be named as deepit.vhd .)
- maximum=5000 ( this means i want it to be of 5000MB )
- type=expandable ( means we can change its size whenever we want to )
- list vdisk ( to list all virtual harddisk ) . As you can see the VHD which we made earlier is also shown below . But what we created now(deepit.vhd) is added (state) but not attached .
- Attach vdisk ( to attach virtual harddisk to you file system )
- Check the details .
- Commands used –
create partition primary size=4500 ( this is to create partition of size 4500Mb )
format fs=ntfs label=”vhd” quick ( i’m formatting in ntfs file system and labelling as vhd . )
assign letter Z ( assign letter to that drive )
- Now open my computer .
- Drive Z labelled as vhd is now available to use .
TO SECURE YOUR VIRTUAL HARDDISK .
Go to MY computer (right click) > manage > disk management
Now detach your virtual harddisk . Your drives made on these virtual harddisk will be unmounted . No one will be able access it .
- And when you want to use your data you can attach it again .
- When you click on attach VHD . It will ask you where your virtual harddisk is located . Give the path and click ok . Again your drive will be mounted within a few seconds .
You can also use these virtual harddisk in other system . How ?
Simple just copy it to your pendrive/usb or external harddisk and now all you have to do is attach your virtual hadrddisk in other system .