In this post we will learn what’s webmin and how to configure webmin in linux as server and windows as client .
People who are using first time linux are not familiar with commands and file paths . For them its a daunting task to work with this operating system in an easy and manageable way in order to get the job done in limited time . WEBMIN is a web-based interface for system administration . By using popular modern web browser ( in Windows or Linux ) you can configure or set up
- User accounts
- File sharing
- Apache webserver
- FTP server
- Administrator groups
- Cron jobs
- VPN clients
- DHCP server
- SSH server
- EMAIL- server
- Mount , unmount and administator volumes , harddisks and partitions
- Linux firewall
- and much much more
HOW TO CONFIGURE WEBMIN IN LINUX
- Get the rpm version of webmin from this website if you don’t have . http://webmin.com/
- To install webmin rpm type = rpm -ivh .rpmfile
- In -ivh , i stands for install , v stands for verbose ( graphical view) , h stands for (show loading process in #)
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -ivh webmin-1.580-1.noarch.rpm warning: webmin-1.580-1.noarch.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 11f63c51 Preparing... ########################################### [100%] Operating system is Redhat Enterprise Linux 1:webmin ########################################### [100%] Webmin install complete. You can now login to http://localhost.localdomain:10000/ as root with your root password. You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
- Disable linux firewall and se linux settings .
- iptables -F command is to disable firewall settings
- setenforce 0 command is to disable se linux settings .
[root@localhost ~]#iptables -F
[root@localhost ~]#setenforce 0
- Check the server machine ip address by using below commands
- ip a
NOW THE CLIENT ROLE
- Open browser and type the ip adddress of server machine with port
- Like i’m having ip address 192.168.0.130
- And webmin works on 10000 port no .
- SO type the ip address of server machine and after that add port number (: 10000 )
- Webmin login page will be on your screen .
- Enter with root or any other user .
- After entering correct login details Webmin home page will be on your screen containing your system information.
On left pane you will find many interesting menu .Lets check out some of them .
- Any configuration files you would like to schedule, backup or restore can be simply done in Backup configuring files . Just set the modules , what you want to include in the backup and the destination file .
- In this you can set language , block or allow ip , lock file , themes , configure proxy , edit user interface and many more settings according to you .
- Here you can check which users are using webmin services .
- You can create new webmin user or group
- Or delete webmin users or group
DISK AND NETWORK FILE SYSTEM
- Here you can see the different file systems currently mounted.
like /root, /bin , /proc , /sbin , /var , /usr , /home etc
- You can add new File system
- Also you can check which type it is , How much space its using and is it in use or not .
USERS AND GROUPS
- Here you will find all the users and groups have been created by admin .
- You can add users or delete them from this window.
- You can see the groups and privileges assigned to them, just click on any user.
- It can be change if you like , select the user and all the details will be on your screen .
- In this section you will able to configure apache webserver .
- You can configure/ delete existing virtual host
- You can create virtual host
- SSH stands for Secure Shell , network protocol for operating network services securely over an unsecured network. The best known example application is for remote login to pc systems or mobile device by users but in encrypted way.
- You don’t have to manually configure ssh server just configure network , allow which ip address to access , set up ssh key .
- Under Server section, go to samba windows file sharing .
- Samba servers, your Linux and Windows systems can share directories and printers.
- Setting up network , editing configuration file of samba , setting authentication are easy through webmin .
- Know some command and want it to run ? There’s command shell is used .
- Some commands are easy to run on command line terminal than graphical view .
SYSTEM AND SERVER STATUS
- Here you can view the status of your system and servers .
- Which servers are running , which one is off .
- You can manage all services in this section .
- In this section you will be able to manage linux firewall settings .
- NFS(Network File System) is basically a distribute File System Protocol which is used to share data over network , allowing a user on a client computer to access files over a computer network much like local storage is accessed.
- So from here yo will be able to add , delete and administrate file system for nfs server.
- RAID stands for redundant array of independent disks
- Raid is made for redundancy of data .
- Through Webmin its easy to create or manage raid .
LOGICAL VOLUME AND VOLUME GROUP
- Under Hardware section go to logical volume management .
- Here you will be able create , delete and administer volume groups and logical volumes .
- First you have to create volume groups , then logical volumes .
- All the disk partition you will in this section .
- You can add primary partition or swap partitions .
- Also you can add/delete logical partitions .
- You can also set up system time and date.
- System time and hardware time can be separately set and saved
- Also change the time zone
- Time Server Sync, is used to ensure your system is always in sync with the selected time-server .
- Extended Internet Services – This allows you to view and manage services .
- And you can see the port number of services
- Every Service use different port like Telnet uses port 23 .