In this post we are going to learn how to configure router and how to connect two different network ip / machines using router .I have taken two network ip 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 , I’ll connect each other (ping) .Now these ip address cannot ping each other using hub or switch because they belongs to two different network I will show you how to communicate using routers.
- First take two end devices like laptop or pc and one router .
- To make connection we need a cable . Cross cable are used to connect router and laptop or pc . So in connection select copper-cross-over cable .
- And click on your first device and select fast Ethernet 0 . As you know laptop or pc got only one lan port .So we will use that port .
- Now take that wire to router and click on router . Then it will ask which router port you want to connect this laptop or pc ? Select Fast Ethernet 0/0 .
- Do same with other device take cross over cable and click on second device . Choose its Fast Ethernet o port .
- Take that copper-cross-over cable to router and click on router . And choose router’s second port Fast Ethernet 0/1 .
- This screenshot will help you to understand where we are connecting our devices .
- Now select your device(laptop or pc) , Go to its Desktop option and select ip configuration .
- Give ip address to this device and tap TAB key . It will auto fill subnet mask . Give Default gateway ( point where your cross cable is connected to router) ip address too
- Now select second device and give ipaddress , subnet mask and default gateway to this device .
- Then go to router and and selct CLI (command line interface) .Tap Enter to get started .
- Now type these command
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#interface fa 0/0Router(config-if)#ip address 22.214.171.124 255.0.0.0
%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up
AFTER TYPING THESE COMMANDS YOU WILL FIND CONNECTION IS GREEN ( READY TO CONNECT) .
NOW FOR SECOND CONNECTION TYPE THIS COMMAND
Router(config-if)#ip address 126.96.36.199 255.0.0.0
%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
- Now select one of your device and go to its command prompt . Type ping ip address of other device to check whether its connecting other network machine or not .
- I’m going to ping my second device(ip address 188.8.131.52) . Type ping 184.108.40.206.
- If its showing packets :sent=4 , received =4 and no lost this means connection is ok .
- In my first attempt my 1 packet is lost but in second try connection is all set to go .
- If you too lost one packet in your first time pinging , don’t worry router takes time to make connection .
CHECK OUT MY VIDEO IF YOU GOT ANY PROBLEM .