In this article we are going to learn how to join two or three files in linux.
Sometimes we keep records of employees , staff , students or members in different files but we want files should combine and show result of one person from two files or three files.
- So first we will create one file and name it as a.txt . Make sure you give numeric in front of names or details of that person . After writing evrything in that file press CTRL+D to save that file.
[root@localhost ~]# cat >a.txt 1 DEEPIT 2 NEHA 3 RAHUL 4 MARIE 5 BRAD
- Now we another file (b.txt) to join it together . Same you have to press CTRL +D to save .
[root@localhost ~]# cat >b.txt 7406628159 8637357385 9836427965 7328767654 7527964576
- Then we are going to combine information of two files and into new file Deepit.txt
[root@localhost ~]# join a.txt b.txt>deepit.txt
- You can check whether deepit.txt has been created or not.
[root@localhost ~]# ls anaconda-ks.cfg a.txt b.txt deepit.txt Desktop install.log install.log.syslog
- Now try to open deepit.txt and you will get information of both a.txt and b.txt file in deepit.txt file
[root@localhost ~]# cat deepit.txt 1 DEEPIT 7406628159 2 NEHA 8763735348 3 RAHUL 7284562746 4 MARIE 7472983486 5 BRAD 8346632946
So this how you can join two file into one .
IF you want to join three files, make three files and after that type
[root@localhost ~]# join3 a.txt b.txt c.txt >deepit.txt
So your three files information will be in deepit.txt
This method is only been used to combine records and information of employees, staff, members , students etc .