In this article we are going to learn how to secure your wi-fi network . Imagine one of your neighbors has configured out your wireless password and is misusing your wifi network, then it is time to ensure that you take all the necessary security precautions to keep unwanted intruders out of your network ..
To secure your wi-fi follow these steps:
1. First find out the IP address of your wifi router so you can connect to it and manage your wi-fi security settings.For checking your wifi ip address go to command prompt and type Ipconfig command . Note down the Ip address mentioned against Default Gateway of the Wifi network, which is the Ip address of your router. In my screenshot you will find out its 192.168.0.1
2. Open your browser and type the IP address of your wi-fi router in url bar to connect to your wifi router . Now it will ask you to enter the router username and password to login into the router setting page . You can get the router login details from internet provider or wifi router manufacturer. On most of the routers ,default usernames and password are admin as username and admin or password as the password .
3. After logging in first thing is to do is enable encryption on your wi-fi network . There are three types of encryption levels possible on wi-fi network – WEP , WPA and WPA2 security . WEP and WPA security can be cracked in a matter of few minutes and has few vulnerabilities . So i recommend that you only use WPA2 security on your wi-fi network with a strong password .
4. Also change the SSID(name of your wi-fi ) to something generic which makes it tough for a malicious user to identify which network belongs to you.
5. Disable remote access and management of your wi-fi router security settings , so that a malicious user cannot make any changes remotely.
6. If you want to add an additional layer of security , then you could consider enabling MAC Address Filtering on your Wi-fi network which means that only devices with known MAC addresses will be allowed to connect to your network, while other devices will automatically be rejected.
So this is how you can secure your wifi network